Union Depot Saint Paul, Minnesota Pen and Ink - 1996
After downtown Saint Paul’s first Union Depot (1888) was destroyed by fire, its replacement was completed in 1917. Located near the Mississippi waterfront, Union Depot would - under the direction of Saint Paul’s famed railroad and business tycoon James J. Hill, serve the new Saint Paul-based Great Northern Railroad which stretched from Chicago to Seattle.
Nearby on the banks of the Mississippi river is Lower Landing (Lampert’s landing), the birthplace of Saint Paul. Before the advent of railroads, riverboats were Saint Paul’s, and Minnesota Territory’s, primary connection to the rest of the young nation. At its peak use in the 1940s, Union Depot accommodated seventy passenger trains a day. It then closed to passenger rail service in 1971 after America’s love-affair with the automobile and passenger jet service took its toll.
In 1999, in part due to artist Bill Hosko’s efforts and encouragement with then Mayor Norm Coleman, a public effort was established to renovate Union Depot back to its glory. Today, it has been restored and re-established to accommodate passenger train and bus service again after a thirty-year absence. (Shading and Tinting available)
Birch or White Linen mat paper print size: 11” x 8.5” Signed/Numbered edition size: 999 - $30 Signed/Numbered Artist’s Proof edition size: 99 - $45
Birch or White Linen mat paper print size: 17” x 11” Signed/Numbered edition size: 999 - $45 Signed/Numbered Artist’s Proof edition size: 99 - $60
Original available: Illustrated on Mylar - paper size: 24” x 11” - $550