House of Hope Presbyterian Church
Pen & Ink
When the Territory of Minnesota was organized in 1849 a young missionary from Philadelphia, Reverend Edward Duffield Neill, set out to form its first Presbyterian congregation - First Church in downtown Saint Paul. He started a second congregation on Christmas Eve, 1855 and named it House of Hope. The name was selected "desiring that it might be the place of refuge for weary and heavy-laden souls." After these churches merged in 1914 the construction of the existing church at 797 Summit Avenue began. This Gothic church is rich in symbolism; collectively the architecture, stained glass windows, carvings and adornments
create an inspired setting for worship and reflection.